Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Using IIS on my Local Machine to host a web site what do I use as my DNS?

I understand how to set a website to point to my IP using IIS. But want if I purchase a domain name like www.mydomain.com how do I point the domain to my ip using IIS



Using IIS on my Local Machine to host a web site what do I use as my DNS?





You don%26#039;t. You set the domain registrar%26#039;s A, Cname and maybe MX records to point to your public IP address, on the server set up dns records pointing to the internal private address, otherwise your local machines can not access it by domain name. Do NOT let your dns server be seen on the internet, this is almost a hanging offence, it can get you cut off. You need to set forwarding in the router for any ports you want visible, and point them to your internal address, and either a fixed IP address or dynamic dns.



Using IIS on my Local Machine to host a web site what do I use as my DNS?



go to start %26gt; run%26gt; type



ipconfig /all



this wil display your DNS address



Other Replys:Expanding on whatanidname wrote... %26#039;cuz it may be a little more complicated than that.



You see, if your home Internet connection has a %26quot;static IP address%26quot; (never changes), then it%26#039;s no problem. IPCONFIG /ALL or a website like http://www.ipchicken.com/ will clearly tell you the IP address you%26#039;re using.



But many Internet providers give out dynamic IP addresses, which could be the case for you if:



(a) If you are using a firewall/router/access point... then it may be configured to get the external IP dynamically or statically.



(b) If you are connected directly to your Internet cable modem/DSL/whatever, and you run IPCONFIG /ALL and it shows the following line: %26quot;Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes%26quot; then you are using a dynamic (changing) address.



If you find out that you have a dynamic address, you%26#039;ll need to use a service like DynDns.org (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndn... where you put a client on your home PC that updates the DNS every time your home IP address changes.



Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment