Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Query reg hosting a website?

If I have an Internet connection with static IP, I can use a web server to host a website in my machine. So giving my IP in the adddress bar will show my web page. But If I need a domain name, Is it mandatory to register somewhere even if I am going to host in my machine?



Can you shed some light how the Domain Names are mapped to the corresponding IP addresses?



Query reg hosting a website?





You do not have to register a domain. You can host a web page and have other%26#039;s get to it by entering your IP in their browser.



Sounds like you already have this part covered, but...You can download and install a web server.



go to http://softpedia.com and search for %26quot;webserver%26quot;. there are hundreds of free webservers there and other places.



You can get a sub-domian for free at http://www.dyndns.com/. There are lots of instructions there. Your address will be something like [yourpage].dyndns.com.



Or, you can register a domain. I recommend godaddy.com because they include free DNS and they are cheap (under $8/yr). DNS is what you need o host a page on your site and have a domain point to it. It basically translates your domain name (yourpage.com) into your IP address (123.123.123.123).



You will still probably want to use dyndns.com%26#039;s free Dynamic DNS serice unless you have a permanent static address from your internet provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment