Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I think my ISP is blocking incoming web requests. Do they do that?

I have AT%26amp;T Yahoo DSL and am trying to host a web server. I have IIS setup and the website is running perfectly because people on my local network can access it. But people outside cannot. At first I thought I needed to open port 80 on my router, but that is NOT the issue because when i plug my server directly into my DSL modem and bypass my router all together it still doesn%26#039;t work. Also, typing in my direct IP address (not the local one, the one viewable to the internet) from somewhere outside the network does not work either. Could my ISP be blocking incomming connections? Has anyone heard of AT%26amp;T doing that?



I think my ISP is blocking incoming web requests. Do they do that?





First you really need to read the AT%26amp;T terms of service! You are not allowed on a home dsl line to run a server! So of course they block the incomming request. You can upgrade to a business class line, then you can run your server!



If you keep at it, they can and will terminate your connection.



Just go read the %26quot;TERMS%26quot; you will find that in those terms.



Since you signed up and agreed to them, stop violating them!



Most people never read those but they should!



I think my ISP is blocking incoming web requests. Do they do that?



Try using a different port like 8000, 8080, or 7000 (Tomcat) on your webserver and test it again. See if they are blocking those as well--that should give you the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment